Burn Permit Information

Request a Burn Permit

Contact the Valley Center Fire Department at (316) 755-7303 between the hours of 7:00 am until 7:00 pm to request a burn permit within the city limits of Valley Center. 
Email Submittal Form


By accepting this permit, I agree to abide by the following requirements:
  • The applicant is in legal control of the lot or parcel of land as herein described.
  • Burning will be attended continuously by a competent person of legal age, from the time of ignition to the time of extinguishment.
  • Burning will not be permitted if the wind speed exceeds 15 miles per hour.
  • For Field Type Fires: A fire break (plowed or disced) of at least 20 feet on all sides of the area to be burned shall be provided.
  • For Non-Field Type Fires: Adequate clearance shall be provided from readily combustible materials (example: grass to be mowed) with material(s) to be burned located a minimum of 100 feet from any structure and 10 feet from any property line.
  • Burning shall not create a smoke nuisance or hazard to neighboring properties or persons.
  • Precautions shall be taken to assure confinement, intensity, and size of said burn.
  • Burning of any heavy smoke-producing material is strictly prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to: rubber tires, plastics, roofing, tar paper, old furniture, garbage, cloth, or any petroleum base product.
  • A garden hose or other fire extinguishment equipment shall be available at the burn location.
  • Burning shall be conducted one hour after sunrise to one hour before sunset (except agriculture and other specifically approved burns).
  • Starting fires with combustible or flammable liquids is prohibited. The use of gasoline or other ignitable liquids in this matter is extremely dangerous.

Examples of Open Burn

  • Burning of combustible waste material from residential or commercial construction projects which is from the permit location
  • Burning of brush and tree trimmings on residential or commercial property; brush and tree trimmings must be cut from the burn location (materials to be burned must not be hauled or brought in from outside of the permit property)
  • Burning that is considered to be necessary and in the publics interest as determined on a case-by-case basis (roadway clearing, salvage operations, structures, etc.)
  • Burning of cut trees, vegetation, or lumber for recreational enjoyment, commonly known as a bonfire